Wohlsen Construction is an award-winning Mid-Atlantic construction company. With over 125 years of experience under our hard hat, we partner with owners and design professionals to build high-quality, functional projects. Our customized services run the gamut, from preconstruction and construction project management, to design/build construction and post-construction services. Our core markets include senior living, healthcare and higher education, but our experience spans far beyond that into many other industries.
Wohlsen recruits the best and the brightest talent in the industry.
If you are looking to make an influence and collaborate on challenging, award-winning projects, consider a construction career with us.
We offer competitive wages and benefits. We're committed to employee training, safety, team work and diversity. We believe that a diversified workforce will help Wohlsen grow for the next 100 years, which is why we embrace employees from different life and business backgrounds.
About Your Opportunity
As the Senior Estimator, you will take the project, mentally build the project, pull the necessary components together and establish, in an accurate manner, the anticipated cost of the project. You will be the lead estimator and the Bid Captain on both hard bid projects and prepare pricing for negotiated projects. You will report to the Estimating Manager.
How You’ll Contribute
• Develop or help with develop strategy to prepare a bid or GMP regularly.
• You will organize and manage a bid team of estimators including making assignments, review the work and coordinating of the team.
• Coordinate the preparation of estimates with Operations team and Executive assigned to the project or proposal. Prepare proposals, estimate books, scope narratives and other items to be submitted to clients or prospective clients.
• Partner with Sales and Marketing to prepare competitive proposals and bids.
• You will lead and explain estimates at various stages in the development of documents including conceptual, schematic, design development and construction documents.
• Refine or develop knowledge of project sectors that we're focusing on such as Hospitals, Senior Care, Education or others as defined from time to time. Meet with and develop relationships with existing and new subcontractors/suppliers including evaluating the capabilities of the subcontractor/supplier (risk assessment).
• Work independently and directly with clients to support the work acquisition efforts of the company.
• Present estimates both internally and externally to clients while building trust and confidence in our knowledge of the project, including presentations.
• Lead purchasing and/or work together with a team to purchase subcontractors and suppliers including coordination with the operations team on scopes, contracts, logistics and schedule. Lead value engineering and constructability review efforts on projects including development of ideas, alternate solutions, presentation format, conducting of meetings and coordination of team involvement in the processes.
• Assist the Estimating Manager to determine assignments of staff, development of staff and development of estimating tools such as databases, subcontractor list/prequalification, historic project data, etc. required to help develop the estimating group.
• Write subcontract scopes of work in a clear and concise fashion that will protect and limit the risks and or open exposure to the company.
• Partner with the Operations teams and Project Executives to develop project strategies, general conditions, schedules and logistics for projects during the estimating stage of projects.
• Lead kick-off and turn over meeting to operations.
• Help develop standards, planning and goals of the Preconstruction and Estimating Department.
• Become an active member in both community and trade organizations that support you and the company.
• Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Engineering, Construction Technology, Architecture or similar field of study.
• Eight or more years of construction experience.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, and ability to communicate effectively with contractors, clients, and employees.
Have a valid driver license with the ability to travel to regional offices to support local estimating projects. Authorization to work in the United States indefinitely without restriction or sponsorship. Ability to work additional hours to meet business plan goals.
• Mechanical and Electrical experience is a plus.
In a normal day, this position requires little to no standing or walking. In a normal day, the employee must be able to sit for 7+ hours. In a normal day, the employee must be able to drive 1-4 hours. Employee must be able to lift/carry up to 10 lbs. maximum; occasionally carry small objects. In this position, employee occasionally (0-33%) must be able to bend at waist, squat the knees, climb (including ladders), reach above shoulders, kneel, crawl, use feet (foot controls), and/or work at heights above 6 feet.
Wohlsen Construction provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training